Idea I had while finishing up my HR book

I was on the subway finishing up HR Transformation (thought provoking book that made me think of the structure of HR and where many companies are heading). For I minute as i just reread that sentence it sounded like a commercial...a testimonial. lol.

I spoke about this book when i first mentioned the job opportunity that was offered to me last year where the book was on the shelf and God reminded me of this book. Well after the job opportunity was literally taken back based on where i live and given to one of my friends based in DC God reminded me again of the book. This book has become my morning subway companion..on the way into work.

As I read the last chapter that was referring to thinking about your competencies and having a reading list. Both of which was a good idea. I started thinking more about the idea of expanding my job to a generalist position. what would it look like? I looked online at HR jobs and see if i could pull some duties from the jobs i saw into my current job because i don't want to be only a generalist. I also would like to incorporate some skills that i have..you know those natural ones. So I started thinking about the idea of coaching my fellow benefit/comp staff members. coaching...not that i have any experience in this but i am an encourager and i think that's part of coaching.

As soon as coaching came to my head I loved the idea. This isnt the first time ive thought about coaching because when i came across expressive arts that was the same time i found the coaching book that i kept walking by on our communal shelf and was like hmm i need to check out what that is and after days of doing that i finally picked it up and was so excited when i found out what the cover is. Welp would't you know it God reminded me of this book again so you know i will be reading this book next.

But let me get back to what i was saying...as i started thinking about coaching my fellow staff members i thought it would be a good idea. i am in a unique position where everyone comes to me for guidance, help on a task, and venting. I'm probably the only person who is aware that there's gripes regarding our staff meetings (that its geared more to managers). No one sees how unequip we are when it comes to the strategic things. We are the non managers in the room. We are used to HR being transacational. i think the general consensus is yeah! i want to be a strategic partner but how does that happen when my duties are transactional? How does this effect me? I'm no expert. In fact, i feel the same way but the difference is i think I'm the person who could bring it all together..that we could learn together. A way to work together to figure out competencies...to figure out how we get to where we are to strategic partners. i admit this idea may seem lofty but i think its needed.

What i want to propose to my boss is that he send me to training for strategic thinking and coaching (I already found a 1 day seminar for each) and i can use my coaching skills to teach what i learned and figure out or start the dialogue of how this thing will work. I finished the book and now I'm trying to figure out how to propose this to my boss. I talked to hubby and he said i just explained it to him just fine. That made me smile. in some ways i don't want to feel like I'm betraying the trust and confidence of my team but in another way i don't think anyone else i going to commit to us. our boss is awesome! but i don't think he realizes the magnitude of how we feel.so i think i may be on to something here...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment