Craft Night Experience

Several posts back I mentioned i was going to a crafts meetup and i just realized I had not talked about until i saw a comment from Carey just now on that post. The craft meetup went so well!

I got there a bit early before the teacher was starting the next lesson (yay for me) so i was making small talk with the people at my table (another yay for me because that does not happen but im trying to be more outgoing) and then she asked us newbies to go to the back of the room so she could instruct us on the exercices for tonight. There was 10 of us at the table and we were handed pieces of paper. She first asked how many of you know how to draw? I was about to raise my hand because after all i am a proud artist but later thought oh lawd what if my art fails me... ill only raise my hand if someone else does. um...no one else did so obviously i didn't either.

The instructor went on to explain non artists are the type of people she likes to teach and how shocked she was no one was an artist because her last two groups were filled with artists. She reminded us that this process is about having fun, there's no critiques here ..just a place to express. so she tells us to take the small piece of paper she handed us and take our pens and put it in our non dominant hand. (pause)no brakes...screech....non dominant...i am not liking this first excercise...this will be terrible. why oh why would she suggest this? i had much resistence but of course did it. then she said i want you to draw the person across from you. what! you are asking for too much. lol. The instructor added these would be quick drawings. the person across from me was hilarious. she was apologizing already for what was to come and i said the same thing. non dominant hand, rushed drawing, no music to inspire me ...oh boy. lol...on one hand my non dominant hand suprised me it was better than i thought it would be it was a decent enough animated portrait. But as i looked around the room clearly it was the best one and im not saying this to gloat because thats not me but it just was. so you can imagine my suprise when she picks the girl across from me portrait and says how good her drawing is. really? that drawing looks nothing like me.

The next exercise we needed to draw what she uttered such as toilet, dog,and something else. These were supposed quick one minute drawing without picking up our pen. another pause this is exactly why i dont like drawing from memory. lol. it sounds like im complaining but i was actually having fun as i got over said items. In my mind i was thinking ...omg! these drawings are so awful! im so glad i didnt say i was an artist.lol.

We all got up and look at everyone else's drawing and we did a final exercise where we drew an eye, an larger eye, foot, and tail and each time we drew the item we turned the paper and it was time to connect it all together to see what creature you got. ha! it was so funny to see the final outcome. if i wasnt so embarassed about my drawings i would post them. the wonderful thing about this night after i got over my resistance and the lack of clear knowledge that my drawing was the best i let loose, had fun, and certainly drew things from scratch. Also I was able to laugh at my crappy drawings and thats never been the case.I am soo going to get the drawing lab book because this is exactly what i need.

No comments:

Post a Comment