Horseback Riding




I was so excited to go horseback riding on a guided trail since i enjoyed it so much the first time i went 3 or 4 years ago in VA (it was beautiful you could see the mountainside). So I was all geared up to go this time because i was suprised there was even a trail in NY. The subway ride took 2 hours from Brooklyn to Bronx and then i had to catch a bus (first time ever in NY..i didnt realize they only ran twice an hour and i just saw my bus roll by so of course i was going to be late). I ended up meeting some people on the bus after i overheard them asking about the stables and the driver said we misse dour stop it was wayyy back there. We got off and walked and one of the people actually the organizer called one of her friends to come get us.where we were walking was really beautiful near the water. Too bad we were late and had to get a move on.

So it was time to get a horse and i was a second person to get one so one of the stable guys brought me one and told me to hop on. Well our guide shouted "she's too fat for this horse..his legs are weak and cant carry her. This horse can only take skinny people or small children. Dont just put people on any hourse without checking with me." OMG! Can you say mortified!!! So i got off so embarrassd and they brought me a horse that was called "Grandpa" slower but smart. im like what a name but im not mad its slow. i look ahead and the guide is already giving instructions which i miss and my horse wouldnt go so she told me to kick my feet. now first off im thinking why is she the only one to go with the four of us. Last time each person had a guide in case the horse got out of hand so we started down the trail and the horses stopped to eat and we walked some more down the trail.

The next thing i knew Grandpa did a u turn and started galloping through the damn woods...i mean galloping. i was screaming and terrified cause i didnt know what to do and i didnt want to do the wrong thing and he throws me off. I'm crying and getting hysterical and wondering why the guide did not come after me. Finally i recognize that we are going back to the stables and i saw people upahead and started screaming help and some guy helped me. I was a mess and he asked if i was ok and i shook my head as i was wiping tears. Then he brought me back to one of the stable workers and she was like are you okay and i said yes. she said do you want to get down or do you want another horse. i said i want another horse a tamed one in between sniffles. she said ill call the guide to come back for you in the meantime. wth why isnt she coming back in the 1st place. i was done! so i got another horse which i didnt bother to know its name. The guide said are you nervous and i said yes so she hitched me to her horse and said why dont you just enjoy the ride. ill take care of everything. Fine with me so i let go of the reins. she was like you were a real cowgirl out there. uh huh. so she tried to make jokes and talk to make me feel better and shes like turn around to see your friends galloping behind us. no thank you. so since i wasnt in control it was better but i am done with horseback riding.

We returned to the stables and everybody wanted to take a pic on their horse...not me just get me off. The organizer ran up and hug me and asked if i was okay and nodded now.afterwards we went to eat at this seafood restaurant which was good and got to know each other a little better. My commute back was awful because the train wasnt running so me and two other members had to catch a shuttle bus and another train back. done done with that day and im still really sore two days later. Interesting to say the least.

Pics posing with the horse before the ride, me being hitched to the guide (see pink rope) and out at the restaurant after the ride

1 comment:

  1. Oh Steph! Here is another one of those "only you" moments!! I hope you are writing these stories down. Your children and grandchildren will love hearing them!

    ReplyDelete