Feelings about pursuing a project....

I read one of my expressive arts newsletter weeks back that mentioned she was participating in the "sketchbook project"..it seemed so interesting that I immediately log on to see what it's about. Basically you purchase a sketchbook, select one of their pre-selected themes, they mail it to you and you have to return it back by Jan.15th. From there your sketchbook tours different cities and you get notified when someone looks through it. How awesome is that! Initially when I read it on the newsletter the person neglected to mention the $25 cost and the pre-selected theme ..just that your sketchbook was touring around the city. so at first i was taken aback by the cost but then said thats a small fee really and how awesome the idea of my sketchbook touring. Then yesterday feelings crept up that I didnt like the idea that its a pre-selected theme..maybe this project isn't for me (now I know that was fear). I talked to hubby and he said the following impactful words: "this project is exactly for you...this project requires boundary. Because you need to learn to work within limits.You have a tendency to run away from the things that you truly need. You were so afraid of working within structure that you gave up art for over a decade. Then he went on to talk about the direction i want my art to go:You have to ask yourself the question: Do you want to keep art a hobby, something to yourself for yourself or do you truly want to undergo training, which aims to hone you, shape you, mold you, and grow you by putting pressure on your talent and producing skill.That will ALWAYS involve the use of boundaries.Limitations.Because the point is to shape.That's what a sculptor does."

Strong point heh! He's so good on pointing out what people need to do...I wish we could bottle him up and sell him. To answer the question I want to be honed and that's what DM teaching is doing. I can already see that.So I'm going to do it..I just have to pick a theme..I'm between:
Adhere to me
The greatest story ever told
Down your street

So we'll see which one it ends up being....

No comments:

Post a Comment