Introduction to the book-Extreme Self Care

I got this wonderful book for Christmas by Cheryl Richardson called "The Art of Extreme Self Care" Transform Your Life One Month at a Time. I could relate to it so much that I inhaled the book and when I got to Chapter 3 I realized the chapters needed to be read once a month (I guess I f didn't notice in the title one month at a time)so I told myself when I made time to do this I would.Since it's May I figured what better time than this. Because I am in the transformation journey in my life. The book grabbed my attention in the Introduction pages. The things Cheryl said spoke to me so loud that I knew this book was exactly what I needed to read at this time in my life.

-Extreme Self care meant taking my care to a whole new level. Taking radical action to improve my life and engaging in daily habits that allowed me to maintain this new standard of living. Schedule time for myself (on my calendar, in ink) everyday for 6 months.
-Extreme Self Care involved surrounding myself with people who were smart, self-aware, and only interested in two-way relationships. It meant taking bold steps, such as eliminating clutter from my life, for good; creating soul nourishing work and home environment and keeping it that way;getting my financial act together so that I always had choices about how to live my life and not making any commitments whatsoever out of guilt or obligation.
-Extreme Self Care-real pleasure is not a massage every couple of months, an occasional bath, or a yearly vacation. It means leaving work in the middle of the day to get out into nature, enjoying a great massage once a week, and developing daily habits that make me feel happy and nurtured, including listening to the music I love, drinking my favorite tea, or ordering fresh flowers for my office. Even if all of this doesn't sound idealistic we have to discover that "a great life starts with an open mind."
-To incorporate Self Care into my life, internal changes need to be made to make the behaviors stick. I needed to quit being a martyr and focus on getting my needs met. I had to stop expecting others to read my mind and start being direct about what I wanted. I was challenged to try asking for help long before i needed it.begin to ask people to share the load instead of being an hero by attempting to do it all by myself. I have to sop being an automatic yes machine when people asked for my help and instead learn to say no with confidence and ease.

THE Rewards of Extreme Self Care
-To live an authentic meaningful life, I need to master the art of disappointing and upsetting others, hurting feelings, and living with the reality that some people just won't like me. It may not be easy but its essential if you want your life to reflect your deepest desires, values, and needs..
-I need to accept no less than the highest possible standards-be it for work, relationships, health, or overall well-being.
-Extreme Self care forces us to make choices and decisions that honor and reflect the true nature of our soul.
-The choice to live a life that reflects the tenants of Extreme Self Care is critical if we want to make a difference in the world
-Enjoying a life of Extreme Self Care means living and working in a soul-nurturing environment; developing a greater appreciation for, and connection with, nature; doing work that provides an opportunity to express your greatest connection with, nature; doing work that provides an opportunity to express your greatest gifts ad talents; and caring for your emotional, physical, and spiritual health in a way that's aligned with who you are and you most need.
-The art of Extreme Self-Care takes patience, commitment, and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment