Chapter 1-End the Legacy of Deprivation

What stuck out at me in this chapter is the pattern of self-neglect that I have. Cheryl says in this pattern instead of asking yourself what you need, you shift into overdrive and immerse yourself in the needs of others. Cheryl says its time to put an end into this legacy of deprivation! I wholeheartedly agree.

As I continue to read, Cheryl explores the word deprivation and says its a place when you automatically focus on others' needs, avoid talking about yourself, and am the first one to lend an hand when someone else needs a lift-but now you are tired-exhausted. really-and fed up with being a martyr.

Additionally, Cheryl says awareness is a powerful catalyst for positive change (powerful to me and so true). Once you realize how deprived you are you need to put Extreme Self Care into practice. Cheryl started with clearing her plate by letting go of almost 50% of what she was working on to give her the emotional and physical space. She gave herself more breathing room than she thought she needed. She started to ask for help in spite if how difficult and awkward it felt.

Cheryl says overgiving us a sign of deprivation as well-a signal that a need isn't being met, an emotion isn't being expressed and a void isn't getting filled,

Cheryl asks the question-In what ways are you starving yourself in what you need to live a rich anfulfilling life. Since awareness in and of itself inspires change, Cheryl challenges to spend the next 30 days becoming skilled at the ways, big and small, that I deprive myself of what i need, Rather than feel like a victim to something outside of myself, when realizing I am responsible for overgiving I can empower myself to do something about it. After all I am the one that overbooks ,my schedule or make sneeds of others a priority. The guilt in owning this reality so that i own the power to change it.
with right away:
Cheryl lists common complaints and two of them I identified

-When you catch yourself saying things such as "I never have time to do what I really want to do."what I'm really saying is "I don't take time for my needs."
-When you insist, "I always up doing everything myself," the truth of what I'm really saying is "I don't as for help."

The choices we make either honor our Extreme Self_Care or they leave us feeling deprived.

Extreme Self Care Challenge: Discovering Where You Feel Deprived.

This challenge is a call to consciousness-becoming more keenly aware of how, when and where you feel deprived. Everyday this month whenever I feel overwhelmed, frustrated, burdened, or resentful, stop and ask myself?

Where do I feel deprived?
What do I need more of right now?
What do I need less of?
What do I want right now?
What am I yearning for?
Who or what is causing me to feel resentful and why?
What am I starving for?

These answers will help you identify the areas of your life that are calling for greater consciousness, an increase in your awareness of what needs to change to keep you from feeling deprived. In doing this exercise its important to be specific about your needs,. Being introspective and taking time to to arrive at my answers thoughtfully will allow me to gain greater clarity about what my soul needs most to no longer feeling deprived. Cheryl gave me so examples that I def can add to my list (lol! they are my lists until I ponder more).

-Getting more and better sleep
-Developing a creative outlet (which i think will happen in my expressive art and my artists dates)
-Creating more soul-nourishing friendships.
-Considering ways to embrace life more.
-Taking a brisk walk in nature everyday where I can feel at peace in God's creation and take in the beauty/Taking more trips on the weekend to submerge myself in God's beauty (beaches/parks/gardens etc).
-I feel deprived of money to do those things i enjoy and not living from paycheck to paycheck.
-I feel deprived of solitary, uninterrupted time.

Becoming aware of how i experience deprivation in my life is critical to making the changes required to achieve optimal wellness and happiness. Keep your inner antenna finely tuned to what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment