Beginning of our Sacred Friday Word-Clarity

Eventhough I just picked the sacred friday word this morning and sent it to Carey. It's amazing the clarity I'm starting to see. I almost feel bad writing about this so early but I want to capture what I am feeling.

Ive been feeling blocked art wise for a week or so and wasnt sure why. i cancelled the remaining two weeks of Feb sessions with DM.I have intended productive days planned and end up watching Grey's Anatomy. I havent worked out in two weeks. Ive been exhausted. today was the 1st day I havent felt exhausted. I bought some modeling clay a couple of weeks ago from the$store and finally played with it this weekend and and it actually helped me to realize a few things. ..you can even say I was given clarity.

I'm yet again blocked and I believe bored with my current artistic state.... current like the last two weeks or so. I love working with the pastels medium since DM introduced me but now am feeling bored like i need to be introduced to something new. I have no interest whatsoever to draw yet I crave it. Im using Grey's as a distraction so I dont do what i need to do. i feel rejuvenated because i listened to my body and actually got about 7 hours of sleep which is wonderful and ate a bigger breakfast.this $ store molding clay is so simplistic in terms of clay a child would use but ive never used clay as a child. as im looking at these 9 sticks of clay im wondering what to do i do with them. i have no picture in my head no tools....so i just start to play with them. this clay seem foreign which it is...i dont know how to approach this because it requires my imagination. i dont ever feel like im using imagination...i draw and create from pictures but to create something out of thin air what does that look like. I was thinking a couple of weeks ago that i want to do some original art..i know whatever an artist creates is original but i dont want a known foundation i just want to create. none of this seemed to come together until today. i need to create something out of nothing. the first day i used the clay on 2/18 i ended up creating a flower, snake, ring, and what looked like a woman in a car. no major details..in fact it looks like a child could have done it...but i was proud of my achievement. Two days later i just took the flower, snake, ring, and woman and put it together in a big ball so nothing but various colors existed. i played with it and it looked like a brain, then another was a fetus, another a carrot, another a fish, another an ice cream cone and another teenage mutant ninja turtle head (that was something my hubby told me..i was like isnt this a character from a video game but once he said that i was like yes it does). after each creation i would walk to him and show him like a child who is proud of their creation and want to show it to their mom or dad. Now im realizing that is what i want my art to feel like ...one with wonder, excitement, surprise, building something from scratch with no idea what the finished product will look like. I love my zone moment i get but what i need is almost a childlike way about my art and thats what I am going to explore. Very timely actually is I joined a craft meetup because I wanted to introduce myself to different types of art especially since i dont find myself "crafty". I thought this would be a learning experience...well this coming monday the 28th im attending my second crafts night and its hosted by an artist who has done a drawing lab book. can I say i feel like its God directing me once again? It's apparently not the traditional drawing book but exercises to help blocked creative artists or people who dont think that can draw by giving them exercises to just have fun. This sounds exactly what i need. i think i needed to take time away from DM (as much as I adore it) so i can realign my priorities, figure out what i need, have that quiet time, and be able to return to her with what im feeling and needing in this moment. clarity!

1 comment:

  1. I've read this post three different times, and I simply love it. I love the idea of you playing with the clay with a childlike attitude. Hmmm...wasn't Childlike one of our past Sacred Friday words? : ) Maybe you should go back and explore what you wrote on that one. I'm pretty sure I have the email saved at work (I save them all); I just have to remember to find it. Anyway, you've inspired me so much that I am finding myself wanting to go to Target and buy some PlayDoh...and I'm not even "artistic"!

    You definitely have to let me know how your crafts night goes on Monday. I'm sure that DM misses you, but only you know what parts of yourself and your art that you need to nurture. When you go back to her, she will be blown away by your new-found passion and clarity!

    ReplyDelete