Smoothie Recipes

One of the things i wanted to do more of  is trying more recipes....welp you know who reignited that (yes you guessed it..my kindred sister in Christ Carey). I feel kinda of bad not acknowledging all of the rest of my beautiful loving people in my life on my blog more (my wonderful supportive husband J, my wonderful sister Robin, my wonderful friends (Jackie,Kia, Kym, Ara, Fran). I could take several posts commenting on the wonderful blessing each and everyone one of them are but that's not the topic of today.

Now what was i saying...oh yes Carey had sent me a smoothie recipe link in late June and i was thinking what a great way to incorporate protein shakes in my life especially since i knew i would be working out more. As always I always adapt the recipe to my own liking whether its because i want to a. only use the things that are presently in my house b.  adapt based on the reaction to my system  (aka soy milk (almond milk forever), bananas (so many digestive issues).

http://blog.integrativenutrition.com/2012/06/47-smoothies-for-summer



One of the things Ive been wanting to try more of is a green smoothie (i had a taster cup at my health fair which was soo good but it was soooo high in calories). Naturally I looked at the recipe for a green smoothie and picked ...You'll Never believe it's a green smoothie (website below). Simplicity gets me every time. The recipe said: "Take a BIG handful of fresh Spinach or Kale and put it in the bottom of your blender. Add a peeled banana and peeled orange. Then add about 1/2 cup of pineapple or mango. Top it off with 1 cup ice. Blend it up. Drink this in the morning and you will never need coffee again!"

So i grabbed my handful of spinach, pineapple chunks, strawberries, and strawberry protein powder and 2 equals (yummy). That has been a morning staple for the past two weeks....I'll have the explore the website more to see what other goodies may be there.

http://healthyhappyandhot.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/jumping-for-joy-with-these-foods/


At the gym I'm going to they have a juice bar and i was in need of replenishment so I spent 6.00 on a berry protein smoothie ..never again. I could have licked the container but that's insane. Today i tried to duplicate it..it tasted like it may have had banana so clearly adapting is necessary.  I used: 8 oz of almond milk, frozen package of mixed berries, and my strawberry protein shake..(yummy yet again). The only thing missing is the creaminess so tomorrow I will try yogurt.

I usually don't keep frozen fruit around but now I do....especially when i realized how flavorful it makes my protein shake and i didn't realize until now how I don't have to add ice since its frozen so its perfect.

Sadly my beverage blender died on me on Saturday so I'm waiting for the replacement on Tuesday so Sunday and Monday no green smoothie for me. I tried it in my other blender and i gaged....i have major texture issues...cannot do pulp and thats what the spinach tasted like so for right now mixed berry smoothies it is which is fine with me.

I look forward to experimenting more smoothies. I've been reading alot about chia seeds and my fav place trader joe's now sells them so next week i want to make the "Power Plant Breakfast Smoothie" or maybe this week depends on how I'm feeling). http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/06/08/recipe-the-plant-power-breakfast-smoothie/

4 kale leaves (I already know i will substitute this for spinach)


1 cup organic frozen blueberries

2 Tbs of chia seeds

1 Tbs organic peanut butter (I just purchased sunflower seed butter which i like the taste so I will be using this)

1/2 avocado

1 cup coconut milk

1 Tbs raw honey (I don't know about this may substitute for agave..we will see)

2–3 ice cubes

Squeeze of lemon, optional

Stay tuned to see how that comes out....



2 comments:

  1. Just curious, Steph. What kind of blender do you use? I've been using the Magic Bullet, but it doesn't quite get rid of the stringy-ness of the spinach. I really want to try a Blendtec, but they are like $400. I'm not sure if Harry would let me spend that kind of money....although the investment seems worth it to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay. i didnt see this comment. I use a Hamilton Beach personal blender but its VERY temperamental. I just replaced it after using it for years because I forgot like normal blenders where you just hold it down until it blends...this one will stop working if you hold it too long and usually you know its too long because you'll start to smell the motor (so the key is to pulse it a little at a time). My replacement that I received recently I just sent it back for an exchange because this time i forgot it cant process large chopped items(I used it once and it stopped working). The blender is only 15.99 so I shouldnt expect much but more than one blend would have been nice. I want a vitamex but it's also close to 400. I cant see myself spending that at all. You're right its an investment but I cant see that coming out all at once..it has to be a good one for around 100. I was going to ask you how you like the magic bullet. I had one in my apt and again I put something large in it and that was the first and last time I could use it.

      Delete